It's time to explore the tranquil ocean of an alien world as In Other Waters launches today
Fellow Traveller and Jump Over the Age are delighted to announce that In Other Waters, the game of discovering new life in an alien ocean, is now available for PC and Nintendo Switch.In. Other Waters costs $14.99 USD, but to celebrate the launch, there is a 10% discount on orders that runs now through launch week until April 10.
- Nintendo Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/in-other-waters-switch
- Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/890720/In_Other_Waters/
In Other Waters is a unique narrative adventure that puts players in the role of an AI assistant revealing the mysteries of the turquoise depths of an alien ocean. Xenobiologist Ellery Vas is searching for her missing partner on the planet Gliese 677Cc. Equipped with a malfunctioning dive suit possessed by a strange AI unit, Ellery discovers extraterrestrial life and an ocean full of secrets.
In Other Waters, the2019 IndieCade Europe Jury Prix award winner, is sci-fi without soldiers and violence focusing instead on wonder and exploration, fear and vulnerability, and the relationship between a long-dormant AI and its human pilot. The relationship between the AI and the operator unfolds over an impactful narrative uniquely interpreted by the player. The depths of Gliese 677Cc contain many secrets. For life to continue, it must change. What will you discover as you track, sample and learn about life inside this alien ocean?
Developed by Gareth Damian Martin, the one-man team behind Jump Over The Age. An accomplished games journalist whose work can be found at Eurogamer, Kotaku, US Gamer, and more, Gareth is also an artist, game designer, and writer.
- Explore an Alien Ocean: Freely dive into an expansive section of seafloor, from shimmering reefs to inky depths. Unlock upgrades and make discoveries that allow you to open up new paths, uncovering strange creatures and environments as you do.
- See the World Through an AI Lens: Navigate an elegant, intuitive UI via touch or mouse controls. Interpret signals, set headings, and map the ocean through experimentation and intuition.
- Become a Xenobiologist: Discover and catalogue species through observation, scanning, taking samples, and interacting with alien life. Read Ellery’s notes, look at her sketches, and help her classify an entirely new ecosystem.
- Plan Your Dives: Choose whether to study creatures, investigate secrets or dive new areas, then come back to your base to study samples in the lab, chat to Ellery or read her journals to understand more about this world.
- Build a Lasting Relationship: Through limited communication learn more about the person whose suit you inhabit, and help guide her towards a terrible truth. What you experience together will bring you closer.
Now available on PC and Nintendo Switch.
About Jump Over The Age
Jump Over the Age is a one-man studio founded by writer, designer and artist Gareth Damian Martin.
With a decade's experience in games journalism, graphic design and experimental literature, Gareth brings a wealth of skills to video game development. His first game, In Other Waters has already been recognized at IndieCade Europe, winning the Jury Prix in 2019, and is due to release in spring 2020. His criticism has been published in a wide variety of forms, from Eurogamer and Rock Paper Shotgun to Edge Magazine and Frieze Magazine. He is the editor and creator of Heterotopias, an independent zine about games and architecture, and has lectured about the history and theory of games and architecture at the world-renowned Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London.
His game photography has been shown at London's Photographer's Gallery, The Victoria & Albert Museum, and the Lisbon Architecture Triennale, as well as being published in the British Journal of Photography. Gareth also holds a PhD in experimental literature from Royal Holloway, University of London, and his writing has been described by Arkane Studio’s Harvey Smith as “both beautiful and illuminating.”
Working out of his home studio in East London, through Jump Over the Age Gareth hopes to offer distinctive, relevant, and challenging narrative games, with a strong focus on experimental design and visual sophistication.
About Fellow Traveller
Fellow Traveller is an indie games label exploring the possibility space of what games can be. Passionate about the vast and untapped potential of games as a story-telling medium, its mission is to seek out pioneering game developers working on unusual games with narrative at their core, help these developers bring their creations to the world and to connect them with players looking for something different.
Formerly known as Surprise Attack Games, the label was founded in 2011 and rebranded as Fellow Traveller in 2018. You may know them for the hacking game using real Unix commands (Hacknet), the surveillance thriller series that puts you in the shoes of Big Brother (Orwell), or the quiet rumination on life and loss (The Stillness of the Wind).
Fellow Traveller’s sister company, The Treasure Hunters Fanclub, brings together a group of experienced members of the games industry (the fans), scouting for interesting projects from independent developers (the treasure hunters) and puts together a deal that includes indie-friendly funding from its members and a publishing deal with Fellow Traveller. Money, marketing and mentorship in support of independent creative vision.
- Time Paradox Shooter Quantum League Launches on Steam Early Access - May 26, 2020
- Never Miss Another Free Game With GamerPower! - May 26, 2020
- New Trailer for Vehicle Building, Puzzle Platformer ‘Making it Home’ - May 26, 2020