Latest builder contest gets an incredible turnout as players show their expertise with in-game tools
Novaquark, developers of sci-fi MMO Dual Universe, are set to announce the winning entries from their Space Station Building Contest, which began last October and concluded with their recent super-test session. The contest, which was open to all Alpha backers, saw dozens of incredible submissions built entirely by players in the game’s shared universe, all of which are a testament not only to the players’ great creativity but to the capabilities of the game’s unique, in-game construction tools as well.
Dual Universe is unique in that its content is entirely created by players in a single-shard world, and is driven by their creativity in building constructs using only the in-game tools — anything from space ships, to buildings, to space stations, and everything in between. Novaquark has held similar contests in the past, challenging players to create the best in-game puzzle, spaceship, outpost, and small dynamic construct. “It’s amazing what our community keeps coming up with to surprise us,” said CEO Jean-Christophe Baillie. “We just give them the tools, and sometimes we wonder how they managed to manipulate the game in such creative ways.”
With this latest contest, many entrants teamed up within their organizations to build massive, complex space stations with varying gameplay purposes in mind. Some even found creative ways to use gravity as a fun gameplay mechanism. Whether as refueling / trading stations, defensive outposts, or organizational HQs, space stations will serve as important hubs for some of Dual Universe’s main gameplay loops, including dynamic economy and organizations.
Featuring crew quarters, ship docking points, and plenty of customizations, Dr. Rhubarb’s ‘Port Albatross’ is a marvel of digital engineering and a true showcase of what’s possible with Dual Universe’s in-game tools
Designed by Flip360 and built by the New Genesis organization, the AMN Aspire is a battle station that serves as a defensive rearming and repair post for the organization’s navy.
In this Escher-esque station, gravity plays tricks on you thanks to user Kurock’s distribution of different gravity-controlling Dynamic Core Units
The Dual Universe team plans on releasing a series of videos highlighting the top entries, starting with this video montage showcasing the top contestants’ builds.
With so many incredible entries, this has been one of the most successful contests to date. The team has its hands full now that they have to decide on a winner. Sci-fi fans can jump right into the Dual Universe experience now for $60 USD/60 Euros. Pledge packs and more information can be found on the game’s website. Dual Universe’s Beta 1 launch is expected to release this summer, with the full game arriving in 2021.
About Dual Universe
- UNIVERSE (available in test version): The first fully editable universe made for players by players. The only limit is your imagination! Gather your friends and build on a truly epic scale, from ships, cities and space stations, to Lua scripted puzzles and interactive constructs.
- MASSIVE (available in test version): Dual Universe is the first game where potentially millions of players can interact together simultaneously, inside the same giant universe. We call it the Continuous Single Shard Cluster (CSSC) technology. This proprietary technology means no multi-server player separation, instances or loading times, just one enormous, persistent universe.
- EXPLORATION (partially available in test version): Explore & Discover new worlds with your friends, find rare resources and build the greatest place in the universe. Will you be a nomad treasure hunter, or a calculating profiteer?
- ECONOMY (partially available in test version): Dual Universe will have the most realistic economy system ever made in a game. From weapons and tools, to spaceships and giant space stations, build and trade everything to everyone – at your price – on your own market.
- WARFARE (work in progress): Fight for supremacy, resource control or geostrategic advantage, as you join with fellow players and create your own defense systems, build warships, cities and space stations. Will you defend yourself or lay waste to your enemies?
- POLITICS (work in progress): Be a lone wolf or choose an organization or build your own, hire new players, fight other alliances, cut deals with them or rule your own part of the Universe with this completely open political landscape, full of emergent gameplay opportunities.
Novaquark’s goal is to create the first virtual online civilization, enabling potentially millions of players to shape and share a metaverse of their own, together, at a scale never seen before. A world with meaning, where everything you do matters and has a permanent impact. Novaquark, composed of veterans from Sony, Apple, Epic Games and Bioware, is on a mission to bring a new generation of MMO through science, expertise and technological innovation.
- Roll20 and Wisdom Partner to Launch Heroes of the Storm Community Clash League - October 1, 2020
- Unleash mayhem: Drunkn Bar Fight’s Physical Copy Gets a Release Date - October 1, 2020
- Jumpstart, the quickest way to play Magic: The Gathering, launches October 16th in tabletop format - October 1, 2020