Become a low-level video game goon with ambition ... and the power to jump!
The long-awaited 2D platformer Wunderling from indie Swedish developer Retroid is launching today on the Nintendo Switch and Steam. Set in a world where the player is not the hero but a low-level video game goon who has just unlocked the ability to jump, Wunderling features impeccable pixel art, non-stop action, and a memorable soundtrack by Ratvader (Oscar Sidoff Rydelius).
OST on Spotify:
Unlike most platformers, Wunderling is all about breaking the rules. You don’t play as a traditional “hero” but as a minion (think Goomba) who basically wants more out of life. To make things even more interesting, it turns out that the supposed hero is actually the bad guy – known as “Carrot Man.”
Playing as the Wunderling, you are revived by your master – the evil sorceress Kohlrabi, who seeks to tighten her hold on the Vegetable Kingdom and defeat Carrot Man once and for all. But to get the job done, she’ll have to sweeten the deal – granting you, at last, the power to JUMP!
“Wunderling updates the 2D pixel art aesthetic of leading 16- and 32-bit consoles – possibly the most beautiful, polished generation of games – with present day ‘one-button’ gameplay that’s easy to pick up by both veteran console gamers and those used to touchscreens,” says Niklas Istenes, founder of Retroid and producer/designer of Wunderling. “This is a traditional platformer in name only: The hero is the villain – and you, a lowly minion, can now rise through the ranks to become the BOSS. With Wunderling, our goal was to deliver a refreshing change from tired old clichés and reboots. We think that gamers will get many, many hours of fun out of it!"
- Jump between platforms and solve puzzles with one hand!
- Discover a hidden treasure in each stage.
- Unlock hidden Wunder-moves like “Boost” and “Wall-Jump”!
- Enjoy beautiful bite-sized pixel art.
- Customize your Wunderling with a huge variety of accessories – including glasses, hats, video game references, and more!
- Laugh out loud with an original story by Alex Faciane (The Completionist/Super Beard Bros.)!
- Listen to a nostalgic soundtrack by Ratvader (Oscar Sidoff Rydelius) of Else Heart.Break(), Anthill (Nintendo Switch), and Kenshō fame.
- Track down the hero: In Wunderling, YOU’RE the boss!
Pricing & Availability
Wunderling is now available on the Nintendo Switch and Steam (Windows) for $14.99.
Nintendo eShop: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wunderling-switch
- DGMA releases Galactic Rangers VR, an immersive arcade for space macedonian shooting enthusiasts - May 14, 2021
- A Huge Tower, Where Players Can Test Their Climbing Skills, is Now Open at the Camping Ground of PLAY TOGETHER - May 14, 2021
- Challenge your friends on the new INSTANT SPORTS Tennis, out now on Nintendo Switch! - May 14, 2021