We would like to take this opportunity to welcome all Windows 7 people who have come here to find a simple, fast and free alternative to Windows 7 which has reached its end of life and no longer provides security updates. Linux Lite makes the transition to a linux based operating system by offering a full, Microsoft compatible Office suite, familiar software like Firefox, Chrome, Teamviewer, VLC as well as full system back up tools, a comprehensive - easy to follow Help Manual to guide you on your journey, Steam so you can keep playing your Windows games and so much more familiar software. Our Desktop is laid out just like it is in Windows with a Start Menu to the left and a tray to the right with Volume, Network and Calendar options, with familiar Desktop icons that take you exactly where you want to go on your system.
This release has been moved forward from the usual date of February 1st 2020, to coincide with the end of life for Windows 7.
Welcome Windows 7 people!
We want to provide you with a familiar home. What you can expect from Linux Lite:
- A Desktop, taskbar and tray that have a familiar layout.
- You get a fully featured FREE Microsoft compatible Office Suite in the form of LibreOffice.
- The option to run familiar software such as Steam, DropBox, Kodi, OBS Studio, Skype, Spotify, Teamviewer all from within our Lite Software application.
- A Welcome screen that greets you at first boot and makes setting up your Linux Lite install a breeze. Just click and go.
- A Hardware Database containing over 30,000 existing pc configurations that is searchable. Will my hardware run Linux Lite? Look here - https://www.linuxliteos.com/hardware.php
- A friendly, welcoming Support Forum that will always do it's best to find you answers.
- A massive, searchable built-in and online Help Manual that covers all aspects of setting up, troubleshooting and working with Linux Lite.
- A bundled powerful image editor Gimp that many refer to as a Photoshop competitor FREE in Linux Lite.
- Familiar Desktop icons that get you quickly to where you want to go.
- And so much more.
Windows 7 Customized Wallpaper: In the build-up to this announcement, a hint was given as to how we would look out-of-the-box to people coming across from Windows. People are greeted internationally with Welcome in dozens of languages. There are 2 critical elements in the wallpaper that I want people to look for that specifically pertain to Microsoft and Windows 7. Post your guess in this thread. All those who guess correctly will go into a draw to win some Linux Lite swag. Competition will run for 2 weeks and will be announced here in this thread.
VirtualBox Support: Out-of-the-box VirtualBox support for YouTube/Online Journalist reviewers and testers has been withdrawn. This was done to remove one more potential boot-up slow down from the list of variables. And there were cases where this has been a PITA for many users. If you are reviewing or testing, install Linux Lite to the VM then do:
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11
after a fresh install. You will then have the full experience that VirtualBox provides. I'm sorry, but the majority of users came first in this specific case. This will be the norm going forward into Series 5.x and beyond.
Going forward: Series 5.x will run the XFCE Desktop Environment and will inherit all permanent features from previous Series. UEFI & SecureBoot is a serious consideration, but nothing is final on that topic at this stage.
Latest posts by JADIRI GAMER (see all)
- MTG ArenaFridayGame of the Dayjust looking for a win - February 21, 2020
- 7 days until the end of its Kickstarter and Rustler has long since achieved its goal. Help medieval GTA reach another stretch goal! - February 21, 2020
- Spaceland is live now on Xbox One and PS4! - February 21, 2020