a Debian-based live DVD/USB with the goal of providing complete Internet anonymity for the user. The project's latest release is Tails 4.1 which switches the default key server, updates the Tor Browser application and Thunderbird mail client,
Changes and upgrades
- Use https://keys.openpgp.org/, also available on https://zkaan2xfbuxia2wpf7ofnkbz6r5zdbbvxbunvp5g2iebopbfc4iqmbad.onion/, as the default OpenPGP key server.
- keys.openpgp.org is more trustworthy than other OpenPGP public key servers because it only references an OpenPGP public key after sending a confirmation email to the email addresses listed in the key.
- keys.openpgp.org does not distribute third-party signatures, which are the signatures on a key that were made by some other key. Third-party signatures are the signatures used to create the OpenPGP Web of Trust.
- keys.openpgp.org prevents OpenPGP certificate flooding attacks, which can make your OpenPGP keyring unusable and crash your computer.
- Update Tor Browser to 9.0.2.
- Update Thunderbird to from 60.9.0 to 68.2.2.
- Replace the TorBirdy extension with custom settings and patches in Thunderbird that provide equivalent privacy.
- Update Enigmail to 2.1.3, which has a simplified setup wizard that automatically creates an OpenPGP key for new email accounts.
- Update Linux to 5.3.9. This should improve the support for newer hardware (graphics, Wi-Fi, etc.).
- Add back the Show Passphrase check box in Tails Greeter. (#17177)
- Fix the display of the troubleshooting error when GDM fails to start. (#17200)
- Add back the option to Open in Terminal when doing right-click (on Mac, click with two fingers) in a folder in the Files browser. (#17186)
- Make the installation of additional software more reliable. (#17203)
For more details, read our changelog.
None specific to this release.
See the list of long-standing issues.
Get Tails 4.1
To upgrade your Tails USB stick and keep your persistent storage
- Automatic upgrades are available from 4.0 to 4.1.
- If you cannot do an automatic upgrade or if Tails fails to start after an automatic upgrade, please try to do a manual upgrade.
To install Tails on a new USB stick
Follow our installation instructions:
- ROBLOXFor all Ages From 3years old to 100 if you have internet and a device. - October 1, 2020
- Roll20 and Wisdom Partner to Launch Heroes of the Storm Community Clash League - October 1, 2020
- Unleash mayhem: Drunkn Bar Fight’s Physical Copy Gets a Release Date - October 1, 2020