Novaquark, developers of the upcoming sci-fi MMO ‘Dual Universe’, have released an updated roadmap to the public that highlights the next phases of their development cycle. Also released was an accompanying podcast in which the company’s CEO Jean-Christophe Baillie and staff sit down to discuss the future of the game in more detail.
Dual Universe developer Novaquark updates their roadmap as they head toward the last Alpha milestone in January 2020!
Starting with the upcoming Alpha 3 update, which is slated for a January 2020 release date, the roadmap highlights some of the new and updated features coming to Dual Universe in 2020 and 2021, as well as the key milestones in the game’s development.
Click here for a larger roadmap image.
The fundamental gameplay tenets of Dual Universe can be broken down into six main pillars: exploration, building, economy, RPG, PvP combat, and social. With the upcoming Alpha 3 update, Novaquark will have added the latter two, thus completing the foundations for the core gameplay of Dual Universe. With Alpha 3 in player hands, Novaquark plans to focus the bulk of their attention on stabilization and polishing the user experience. “As we’re heading toward Beta, 2020 will be a critical year for us. We have to focus our priorities on making sure the gamer’s experience is as smooth as possible,” said Baillie. Among the new changes coming in January’s highly-anticipated Alpha 3 release, dubbed ‘Shattered Alliances’, are Construct-vs.-Construct PvP and introduction of player organizations, along with a host of other additional features such as surface ore gathering. While Avatar-vs.-Avatar PvP is set to be released in a later update, the team decided to focus on construct combat due to its innovation in regard to real-time voxel damage and crew-based emergent gameplay.
In a recent video, Baillie spoke candidly about the changes to the roadmap, as well as about the progress Novaquark has made so far. In 2019 alone, they released Alpha 2, a major update for Dual Universe, conducted an unprecedented 30,000 simulated player test, raised $11.2 million in additional funding, and opened up a brand new studio in Montreal. In order to continue that trend into 2020, the company felt it was imperative to update their roadmap. “We keep trying to set ourselves apart by how transparent we’ve been, and continue to be, with our core audience of players,” Baillie said.
As of right now, Dual Universe is in Alpha 2, with Alpha 3 coming in January 2020 and the first Beta expected to be released in Summer 2020. To view the updated roadmap, as well as the accompanying podcast and interview video featuring Jean-Christophe Baillie, click here. Also, be sure to get the latest Dual Universe news by checking out their official website, and following the game on Twitter, Facebook, Discord, Reddit, and YouTube.
About Dual Universe
- UNIVERSE (available in test version): The first fully editable universe made for players by players. The only limit is your imagination! Gather your friends and build on a truly epic scale, from ships, cities and space stations, to Lua scripted puzzles and interactive constructs.
- MASSIVE (available in test version): Dual Universe is the first game where potentially millions of players can interact together simultaneously, inside the same giant universe. We call it the Continuous Single Shard Cluster (CSSC) technology. This proprietary technology means no multi-server player separation, instances or loading times, just one enormous, persistent universe.
- EXPLORATION (partially available in test version): Explore & Discover new worlds with your friends, find rare resources and build the greatest place in the universe. Will you be a nomad treasure hunter, or a calculating profiteer?
- ECONOMY (partially available in test version): Dual Universe will have the most realistic economy system ever made in a game. From weapons and tools, to spaceships and giant space stations, build and trade everything to everyone – at your price – on your own market.
- WARFARE (work in progress): Fight for supremacy, resource control or geostrategic advantage, as you join with fellow players and create your own defense systems, build warships, cities and space stations. Will you defend yourself or lay waste to your enemies?
- POLITICS (work in progress): Be a lone wolf or choose an organization or build your own, hire new players, fight other alliances, cut deals with them or rule your own part of the Universe with this completely open political landscape, full of emergent gameplay opportunities.
Novaquark’s goal is to create the first virtual online civilization, enabling potentially millions of players to shape and share a metaverse of their own, together, at a scale never seen before. A world with meaning, where everything you do matters and has a permanent impact. Novaquark, composed of veterans from Sony, Apple, Epic Games and Bioware, is on a mission to bring a new generation of MMO through science, expertise and technological innovation.