Endless OS 3.6.3 was released to existing users today. Images for new installations will be available soon.
Restrict Access to Web Browsers
It is now possible to restrict users’ access to web browsers via parental controls. This will prevent the user from running the built-in web browser, or any of the browsers available through the app centre (including Chrome and Firefox).
Parental Controls for Administrators
It is now possible to apply parental controls to administrator users, as well as standard users. This allows you to (for example) hide violent games from the app center, or prevent yourself from running certain installed apps (similar to “digital wellbeing” features on other platforms). If your administrator user has a password set, the password is required to change these settings.
Startup and login errors fixed
Between 3.6.0 and 3.6.2, there were two known issues which could prevent you from booting or logging into your computer. Both are addressed in this release.
Certain types of disk corruption would prevent the computer from booting at all; instead, they would show the message “Entering emergency mode. Exit the shell to continue.” In this release, the boot process will continue, although you may not be able to create new files until the problem is fixed. Please follow these instructions 1 to recover if you are stuck at this error.
Between 3.6.0 and 3.6.2, if the file on disk which saves notifications was corrupted, the desktop would never appear after you choose a user at the login screen. This problem has been resolved in this release. If you are affected by this problem, you have three options:
- Sign in as another user, and upgrade to this version of Endless OS
- If you cannot sign in as another user, try following these instructions 2 to switch back to an old version of Endless OS, then update the OS
- If all else fails:
Ctrl + Alt + F2to switch to text mode
- Type your username – which is normally your real name in lowercase letters, or “user” if your real name is written in non-Latin characters – and press
- If you have a password, type it, and press
- Type the following command to remove the problematic file, and press
- Take a photograph of the screen
- Type the following command, and press Enter:
Ctrl + Alt + F1to switch back to graphical mode
- Now try to log into your computer again
If you continue to have trouble starting your computer, please contact customer support.
Updated hardware support
A number of hardware-specific issues have been resolved.
- The screen now correctly switches on after suspending and resuming some AMD platforms that would previously hang on a black screen.
- Realtek RTL8723BS WiFi devices should now more reliably connect to wireless networks.
- A recent compatibility issue with Realtek 8822CE WiFi connectivity has been resolved.
Latest posts by JADIRI GAMER (see all)
- World of Goo gets a Physical Release on the Switch, thanks to Super Rare Games Cult classic gets a boxed edition next week - February 17, 2020
- Lines XL – beautiful brain-teasing Numberlink puzzles coming to Nintendo Switch on February 20 - February 17, 2020
- Inclusive Indie Game ‘StarCrossed’ releases to overwhelmingly positive reception - February 17, 2020