INTRODUCTION TO BRAWL
Brawl is a little like Standard, a little like Commander, and a uniquely exciting deck-brewing challenge. Build a deck around a specific legendary creature or Planeswalker from the Standard card pool, and battle against friends in one-on-one or multiplayer free-for-all games.
Important Note: Currently,Magic: The Gathering Arena only supports one-vs-one games.
A Brawl deck consists of the following:
- 1 commander card (any legendary creature or planeswalker from a set currently in Standard)
- 59 other cards (also from sets currently in Standard) that share a color identity with your commander.
- Only one copy of any card, except for basic lands
A card's color identity is not quite the same as a card's color: it can come from any part of that card, including its casting cost and any mana symbols in its rules text.
- Every card in your Brawl deck must only use mana symbols that also appear on your commander.
- Colorless cards are allowed in any deck.
This is the special game zone where your commander resides when it is not in play.
- Each commander starts the game face up in its controller's command zone.
- A commander can be cast from the command zone, as though it were in your hand, for its normal costs, plus an additional two mana for each previous time it's been cast from the command zone this game (informally known as the “commander tax”)
- If your commander would change zones (i.e., be put into your library, hand, graveyard, or exile from anywhere), you may return it to your command zone instead.
STARTING A GAME
- With 3 or more players, start at 30 life; with only 2 players, start at 25 life
- The first mulligan is to seven cards, then each mulligan afterward results in one fewer card (six, five, four etc.)
- All commanders start in their command zone
- Commanders can be cast for their mana cost, plus 2 mana more for each time they've been put back in the command zone
- Last player standing wins!
The Eldraine Courtside Brawl is a special Brawl event for Magic: The Gathering Arena. During the event, players can pick from one of four preconstructed decks to play both Brawl and select cards from the upcoming Throne of Eldraine set for the first time ever!
Event Dates: September 4, 9 a.m. PT – September 9, 11 a.m. PT
Entry Fee: None!
Event Format: Preconstructed Brawl (One-on-One, Best-of-One)
Event Record: Players will earn rewards based on the total number of wins; losses are not counted.
Event Rewards: These cards will only be available as event rewards during the Courtside Brawl! You will not be able to craft any Throne of Eldraine cards until the set officially releases on September 26.
- 1 Win: 4x (playset) of Heraldic Banner and 1,000 XP
- 2 Wins: 4x of Syr Konrad, the Grim
- 3 Wins: 4x of Faerie Vandal
- 4 Wins: 4x of Savvy Hunter
- 5 Wins: 4x of Inspiring Veteran
- 6 Wins: 4x of Order of Midnight
Event rewards can only be earned once! You can keep playing once you’ve reached 6 wins, but you will not receive additional event rewards (games will still count towards any daily/weekly wins and quest progression).
Players will be able to pick from one of four preconstructed decks based on the tabletop product that will be released later this year:
- Knights’ Charge*
- Savage Hunter*
- Wild Bounty
- Faerie Schemes
These decks use cards from throughout Standard, from Guilds of Ravnica all the way through Throne of Eldraine. They also contain unique cards that aren't found in typical boosters, but are still Standard legal and playable!
Want to learn more? Check out today’s card preview article, where we take a step inside the box to examine the Brawl decklists.
*These decks each have two different cards than the tabletop versions of these decks. Mask of Immolation and Izoni, Thousand-Eyed were added to the Savage Hunter deck. Additionally, Shivan Dragon and Tajic, Legion’s Edge were added to the Knights’ Charge deck. All four cards were added to replace cards in the tabletop decks that were designed for multiplayer play (so didn’t make sense for MTG Arena’s 1v1 event).
THRONE OF ELDRAINE SET MECHANICS
Two new mechanics from Throne of Eldraine will be playable as part of the Courtside Brawl event. For more information, check out the Throne of Eldraine set mechanics article.
“You may cast this card as an Adventure, after you do exile it. You may then cast the creature later from exile.”
When you cast a card that features an Adventure, you will be given an in-game browser that lets you select which half you wish to cast:
When you cast the creature from exile, the creature half of the card will be highlighted while on the stack (the adventure portion will be dimmed).
Fandomfare Gaming Entertainment no.1 source in, Gaming news, Live Game Streaming , PC Gaming & related Events E3, Gamecon and more, eSports event news and releases gaming technologies.
Fandomfare Gaming Entertainment Video Games | Game Reviews | Game Streaming |Linux Distribution | more than 20-year online gaming and following the gaming industry\
Latest posts by JADIRI GAMER (see all)
- OUTWARD Receives Free Content Update! - November 19, 2019
- CCP Games’ EVE Invasion World Tour to host Epic Finale at EVE London - November 19, 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11 on Stadia – Available Now! - November 19, 2019