Desktop and base OS updates
Endless OS is based on the GNOME desktop environment 6, the Debian GNU/Linux distribution 5 and the Linux kernel. In this release, we have updated the base OS packages to the latest versions from Debian “buster” (the forthcoming stable release), most desktop components to the versions from GNOME 3.32, and Linux kernel 5.0. This brings new features, performance improvements, hardware support and bug fixes.
Support for Docker-compatible containers
Endless OS 3.6 includes Podman 25, a command-line tool which is broadly compatible with the Docker 3 command-line interface. For example, you can use this to run existing containers from docker.io 7 and other container registries (try running
podman run -p 8080:80 nginx in a Terminal window, then visiting http://localhost:8080/ 1 in a web browser) and to build container images from a
App installation disk space improvements
Previously, when you installed a new app, it was downloaded from the internet to your disk, then copied to a different location on the disk. As a result, you temporarily needed twice as much free disk space as the size of the app in order to install it, and the app was saved to disk twice. Endless OS 3.6 includes a new version of the Flatpak app distribution system with a new performance improvement, developed by Endless and Red Hat, which allows apps to be installed and upgraded without this additional copying step.
Other Improvements and Changes
- Endless companion app support removed. The Endless companion app for Android was removed from the Google Play Store some time ago; while it was available, several users reported problems connecting the app to their Endless OS computer. We are currently focusing our efforts on other parts of Endless, so we have removed support for the app from Endless OS to save users’ disk space. We hope to bring this back in a future release, as time permits.
- Reduced boot flicker on Intel graphics. If your PC uses Intel graphics, the boot process will appear a little smoother than before, with fewer momentary flashes to black screens.
- Updated Wacom graphics tablet support. Advanced features and configuration of the latest Wacom graphics tablets should now be possible. (Graphics tablets are input devices that allow the user to draw graphics with a pen-like stylus.)
- Desktop accessible after closing and opening laptop. In past releases, with no applications open, closing the laptop lid, opening the lid again, and unlocking the screen would leave the desktop icons faded out and unusable until you click “Show Desktop” or interact with some other part of the UI. This has been fixed.
Fandom Fare merch store is live! Check it out: https://streamlabs.com/fandomfare/#/merch
- Right-clicking the desktop and clicking Add App does nothing. You can add apps to the desktop by opening the App Center, browsing to the app, and clicking Add to Desktop.
- FANDOM FARE KIDS Lather Rinse and Repeat Weekend on ROBLOX Ghost Simulator - July 11, 2020
- Those Who Remain retail-exclusive Deluxe Edition steps into the light today in Europe and July 17 in North America. - July 11, 2020
- Multiplayer Dungeon Crawler Blightbound Charges into Early Access on July 29 - July 11, 2020