Tails 3.14 which includes fixes for various CPU hardware bugs, updates the kernel and streamlines the live disc. "Upgrades and changes: Update Linux to 4.19.37 and most firmware packages. This should improve the support for newer hardware (graphics, Wi-Fi, etc.). Enable all available mitigations for the MDS (Microarchitectural Data Sampling) attacks and disable SMT (simultaneous multithreading) on all vulnerable processors to fix the RIDL, Fallout and ZombieLoad security vulnerabilities.
This release Tails 3.14 fixes many security vulnerabilities. You should upgrade as soon as possible
Upgrades and changes
- Update Linux to 4.19.37 and most firmware packages. This should improve the support for newer hardware (graphics, Wi-Fi, etc.).
- Enable all available mitigations for the MDS (Microarchitectural Data Sampling) attacks and disable SMT (simultaneous multithreading) on all vulnerable processors to fix the RIDL, Fallout and ZombieLoad security vulnerabilities.
- Update Tor Browser to 8.5.
- Remove the following applications:
- Desktop applications
- Command-line tools
You can install these applications again using the Additional Software feature.Thanks to the removal of these less popular applications 3.14 and the removal of some language packs in 3.13.2, Tails 3.14 is 39 MB smaller than 3.13.
- Desktop applications
- Add back the OpenPGP Applet and Pidgin notification icons to the top navigation bar.
- Fix NoScript being deactivated when restarting Tor Browser.
For more details, read our changelog.
TAILS FAILS TO START A SECOND TIME ON SOME COMPUTERS
On some computers, after installing Tails to a USB stick, Tails starts a first time but fails to start a second time. In some cases, only BIOS (Legacy) was affected and the USB stick was not listed in the Boot Menu.
We are still investigating the issue, so if it happens to you, please report your findings by email to [email protected]. Mention the model of the computer and the USB stick. This mailing list is archived publicly.
To fix this issue:
- Reinstall your USB stick using the same installation method.
- Start Tails for the first time and set up an administration password.
- Choose Applications ▸ System Tools ▸ Root Terminal to open a Root Terminal.
- Execute the following command:sgdisk --recompute-chs /dev/bilibop
You can also test an experimental image:
Latest posts by JADIRI GAMER (see all)
- Alaloth – Champions of The Four Kingdoms is coming to PAX East with new content! Experience the adventure in Boston! - February 20, 2020
- Build Your New Kingdom, now on PS4 and Xbox One! - February 20, 2020
- Hellpoint gets a sequel chapter: The Thespian Feast - February 20, 2020