announcing NetBSD 8.1 RC1, the first (and hopefully final) release candidate for the upcoming NetBSD 8.1 release.
NetBSD 8.1 many changes have been made
Over the last year, many changes have been made to the NetBSD 8 stable branch. As a stable branch the release engineering team and the NetBSD developers are conservative with changes to this branch and many users rely on the binaries from our regular auto-builds for production use. Now it is high time to cut a formal release, right before we go into the next release cycle with the upcoming branch for NetBSD 9.
Complete source and binaries for NetBSD are available for download at many sites around the world. A list of download sites providing FTP, AnonCVS, and other services may be found at https://www.NetBSD.org/mirrors/.
Please test RC1, we are looking forward to your feedback. Please send-pr any bugs or mail us at releng at NetBSD.org for more general comments.
Some highlights of the 8.1 release are:
- x86: Mitigation for INTEL-SA-00233 (MDS)
- Various local user kernel data leaks fixed.
- x86: new rc.conf(5) setting
smtoffto disable Simultaneous Multi-Threading
- Various network driver fixes and improvements.
- Fixes for thread local storage (TLS) in position independent executables (PIE).
- Fixes to reproducable builds.
- Fixed a performance regression in tmpfs.
- DRM/KMS improvements.
- bwfm(4) wireless driver added.
- Various sh(1) fixes.
- mfii(4) SAS driver added.
- dhcpcd(8) updated to 7.2.2
- httpd(8) updated.
The complete list of changes since NetBSD 8.1 can be found in the CHANGES-8.1 file in the top level directory of the NetBSD 8.1 release tree.
Complete source and binaries for NetBSD 8.1 are available for download from our CDN and many sites around the world. A list of download sites providing FTP, AnonCVS, and other services may be found at https://www.NetBSD.org/mirrors/. A list of hashes for the NetBSD 8.1 distribution has been signed with the well-connected PGP key for the NetBSD Security Officer: NetBSD-8.1_RC1_hashes.
NetBSD is free. All of the code is under non-restrictive licenses, and may be used without paying royalties to anyone. Free support services are available via our mailing lists and website. Commercial support is available from a variety of sources. More extensive information on NetBSD is available from our website:
NetBSD mirror sites
Please use a mirror site close to you.
- PUBG MOBILE REVEALS ANCIENT SECRET SPECIAL MODE AND NEW ARENA GAMEPLAY IN THE FIRST EVER INDOOR LIBRARY MAP - August 4, 2020
- UNLEASH YOUR HELL! PULSE-POUNDING, GORE-FILLED ADRENALINE RUSH HELLBOUND OUT NOW ON STEAM - August 4, 2020
- 16 TEAMS FROM EAST AND WEST ARE QUALIFIED FOR PUBG MOBILE WORLD LEAGUE SEASON ZERO FINALS FROM AUGUST 6TH TO 9TH - August 4, 2020