The Overwatch League opened its 2019 season on February 14 at Blizzard Arena Los Angeles. Tickets were sold out for the entirety of opening week, and more than 13 million people tuned in to watch from around the world. Eight new teams joined the Overwatch League this season—with expansion franchises in North America, Europe, and China—and viewership for opening week matches was up year-over-year on a global basis:
For the second week of the 2019 season, the Overwatch League was up 40% YoY on global average minute audience.
In addition to the millions of fans who watched the Overwatch League’s opening week matches on linear and digital platforms, thousands more gathered in person to cheer on their hometown teams. Highlights include:
- Paris Eternal supporters brought the noise at Le Generator in Paris, where around 200 fans roared on their team
- London Spitfire fans congregated at Loading Bar venues across the UK’s capital city
- The Washington Justice hosted more than 400 fans for their inaugural game at Penn Social, a sports bar in Washington D.C.
- The Dallas Fuel held its largest watch party to datewith more than 800 fanscheering on the Fuel at the Esports Stadium Arlington
- In Guangzhou, Shanghai, Chengdu, and Hangzhou, thousands of enthusiastic fanswatched Opening Week matches in a wide range of venues ranging from shopping malls to movie theaters
- In Toronto, more than 500 fans packed the Real Sports Bar
- And many more!
You can find assets for editorial use at the links below:
Video footage of Overwatch League matches at Blizzard Arena Los Angeles during Opening Week, along with fan and Overwatch League executive interviews, can be found here: http://badermedia.isebox.net/sports/2019-overwatch-league-season-begins?default=pbgPF4Sl.
Photos from Opening Week matches at Blizzard Arena are available here: https://theoverwatchleague.photoshelter.com/galleries/C00002b8Q68TZHBM/Stage-1
- Photo attribution: please check the metadata for each photo for proper attribution (e.g. “Robert Paul for Blizzard Entertainment,” “Sean Costello for Blizzard Entertainment”, etc.)
- Photo attribution: please credit each team for their respective photos (e.g., “Philadelphia Fusion,” “Toronto Defiant”)
If you have any questions about Overwatch esports, feel free to reply to this message.