Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle, on PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Nintendo Switch™. The game is available digitally on both platforms via the PlayStation®Store and the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch™ for an SRP of $13.99 and €11.99. The game aims to deliver a fast-paced, challenging, mysterious, and suspenseful single-player RPG experience utilizing smart tactics and quick thinking to defeat enemies in real-time.
Set during the Edo Period of Japan, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle is based on the eerie and terrifying Hyakki Island, a place where prisoners are sent to live in exile. A mysterious castle suddenly appears on the island bringing a slew of creepy monsters, such as the “Yokai” of ancient Japanese literature, back to life, ready and waiting for any players brave enough to enter the castle. The island imprisons a cunning rebel mastermind who seeks to overthrow the Shogun order and assassinate its leader. Players play as four special agents of the Shogun order, specializing in Yokai and monster slaying, to investigate the island’s mysterious Hyakki Castle, and to eliminate the rebel mastermind manipulating the Island and its inhabitants. Japanese folklore and ghost stories abound with an unforgettable Ukiyoe art style as players explore the haunted halls solving puzzles and defeating bosses along the way, ultimately to battle and defeat the gloomy Lord of the castle.
Featuring a unique approach to the traditional real-time dungeon RPG genre, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle encourages players to split their party with its exclusive 2-party system, a feature not yet seen in real-time dungeon RPGs on consoles, making strategic fights easier. Players must use unique skills and move-sets in destroying monsters with distinctive attacks and behavior, while executing pincer attacks, flanks and more as you progress upward in the mysteries castle to defeat the rebel mastermind causing the extraordinary events on the island.
“We’re excited to bring such a challenging real-time RPG to living rooms and on console platforms,” said Masaru Saito, Producer of Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle. “We hope to bring out the Dungeon Masters in everyone who plays Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle as the game proudly showcases deep roots of Ancient Japanese folklore and delivers a unique experience like no other.”
- Real-time RPG Action: Execute various tactics such as flanking, distracting, and more for your party in real-time as “Yokai” appear throughout the castle to bring death upon players
- Twice the Possibilities: Split your group of assassins into two parties at any time to deal with traps, puzzles, and enemies for unparalleled strategy and party options
- Explore a Monstrous Castle: The enormous castle is filled with cunning traps—some of which can only be solved by dividing your party—and tough boss monsters, testing player instincts and judgement
- Explore Japanese Character Classes and Races: Choose to play as an Oni, Tengu, Human, or Nekomata with four distinct races on tap to add diverse skillsets to your party
- Tutorial Mode: Learn to survive and defeat the Yokai and bosses in a tutorial mode that provides an in-depth explanation on all the mechanics and tactics needed to survive
- Redefined UI Experience: Experience real-time gameplay with improved UI designed for console gameplay and beginners of the real-time dungeon RPG genre
Developed and published by Happinet, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle is now available digitally on both platforms via the PlayStation®Store and the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch™. This game has been rated “T for Teen” by the ESRB (PEGI 12 in Europe).