GeckoLinux 150.180607 update
GeckoLinux 150.180607 The GeckoLinux project is pleased to release updated spins of both ROLLING and STATIC editions. GeckoLinux spins are based on the openSUSE distribution, with a focus on polish and out-of-the-box usability on the desktop. A large variety of customized desktop options are available in STATIC (based on openSUSE Leap) and ROLLING (based on openSUSE Tumbleweed) editions. After installation to the hard disk, a GeckoLinux system will continue to receive updates from the openSUSE and Packman infrastructures. An installed system can even be upgraded smoothly to future openSUSE releases while at the same time retaining its unique GeckoLinux configuration.
GeckoLinux STATIC spins are based on the enterprise-grade slower moving openSUSE Leap distribution, with the inclusion of proprietary packages from the Packman project. Additional proprietary package repositories from Google, Skype, and Nvidia are also pre-configured. This release of GeckoLinux STATICis now in line with the latest openSUSE Leap 15.0 release. There are many, many new package versions in this release-- the Linux kernel at version 4.12.14, Firefox Quantum 60, LibreOffice 6.0.4, and countless more available in the software repositories. The greatly improved Calamares installer at version 3.2 with updated versions of major underlying utilities will make installing GeckoLinux straightforward and reliable. (Note: the old
yast2-live-installer that used to be available in GeckoLinux was deprecated by openSUSE a long time ago, and unfortunately it is no longer compatible with the current state of openSUSE.) Separate GeckoLinux STATIC spins are available with a polished configuration for each of the following desktop environments:
- Cinnamon version 3.6.7 (download here)
- XFCE version 4.12 (download here)
- Gnome version 3.26 (download here)
- Plasma 5.12.5 and KDE Frameworks 5.45.0 and KDE Applications 17.12.3 (download here)
- Mate version 1.20 (download here)
- LXQt version 0.12.0 (download here)
- GeckoLinux "BareBones" spin for advanced users and distro creators (download here)
- Note: the Budgie Desktop spin of GeckoLinux is unavailable at the moment because it is not working properly under openSUSE.