OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04 Released
OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04 We have released a new OpenIndiana Hipster snapshot 2018.04. The noticeable changes:
- Userland software is rebuilt with GCC 6.
- KPTI was enabled to mitigate recent security issues in Intel CPUs.
- Support of Gnome 2 desktop was removed.
- Linked images now support zoneproxy service.
- Mate desktop applications are delivered as 64-bit-only.
- Upower support was integrated.
- IIIM was removed.
OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04
Userland software is rebuilt with GCC 6. As old GCC 4 runtime libraries are still delivered to /usr/lib, automatic checks and cleanup is applied to remove harmful RUNPATHs (/usr/lib, /usr/lib/amd64 and so on) from binaries. illumos-gate is still compiled with patched GCC 4.4.
KPTI was enabled to mitigate recent security issues in Intel CPUs (thanks to, Robert Mustacchi for their hard work on this).
Support of Gnome 2 desktop was removed. A lot of applications were fixed to remove dependencies on Gnome2 libraries (including OI-specific software, like nwam-manager, time slider or GUI installer).
Linked images support was enhanced to include zoneproxy support (now ipkg zones without connectivity to Internet can update software via global zone's proxy, administration documentation is available in zones section of OpenIndiana Handbook).
Mate desktop applications are delivered as 64-bit-only now.
Upower support was integrated.
IIIM was removed.
Work on delivering 64-bit-only applications was continued.
Note, that although shipped ISO and USB images support booting in UEFI mode, it's still work in progress. Vga console is not supported when system is booted in UEFI mode and installer still misses some steps to create bootable UEFI images.
Desktop software and libraries
- Gnome 2 was removed. Corresponding Gnome 3 applications were added when necessary (totem, gnome-keyring, seahorse, vino and some other).
- Libunique, at-spi, libgnome-desktop and python gnome bindings were removed. Dependent applications were ported to pure GTK2/GTK3. Removal of Gnome 2 libraries is still in progress.
- Xorg was updated to 1.19.6, xorg libraries and drivers were updated.
- Virtualbox video driver compatible with Xorg 1.19 is available.
- Upower 0.99.7 and Mate power manager were added. ConsoleKit patches to support Suspend/Hibernate DBUS API were backported. Lightdm and Mate applications were fixed to work with ported ConsoleKit functionality.
- Mate was recompiled as 64-bit and updated to latest versions of 1.18 branch
- Firefox was updated to 52.7.3
- VLC was updated to 2.2.8
- Thunderbird was updated to 52.7.0
- Nvidia driver was updated to 340.106
- Gnumeric was updated to 1.12.39
Note, that pulseaudio now is delivered as 64-bit application. Its configs are not compatible, so if after update pulseaudio fails to start, just remove ~/.config/pulse directory.
- PUSS! – The surreal puzzle arcade is out now on iOS and Android - August 6, 2020
- Ian plays more Minecraftbuild more than break - August 6, 2020
- Gear.Club Unlimited 2 – Tracks Edition unveils itself with new screenshots! - August 6, 2020