NetBSD 8.0 Release Candidate
- USB stack rework, USB3 support added
- In-kernel audio mixer
- Reproducible builds
- PaX MPROTECT (W^X) memory protection enforced by default on some
architectures with fine-grained memory protection and suitable
ELF formats: i386, amd64, evbarm, landisk, pmax
- PaX ASLR enabled by default on:
i386, amd64, evbarm, landisk, pmax, sparc64
- MKPIE (position independent executables) by default for userland
on: i386, amd64, arm, m68k, mips, sh3, sparc64
- added can(4), a socket layer for CAN busses
- added ipsecif(4) for route-based VPNs
- made part of the network stack MP-safe
NET_MPSAFE kernel option is required to try
- WAPBL stability and performance improvements
- On i386/amd64 cpus:
Meltdown mitigation: SVS (separate virtual address spaces)
Spectre mitigation (support in gcc, used by default for kernels)
- Various new drivers:
nvme(4) for modern solid state disks
iwm(4), a driver for Intel Wireless devices (AC7260, AC7265, AC3160...)
ixg(4): X540, X550 and newer device support.
ixv(4): Intel 10G Ethernet virtual function driver.
bta2dpd - new Bluetooth Advanced Audio Distribution Profile daemon
- Many evbarm kernels now use FDT (flat device tree) information
(loadable at boot time from an external file) for device configuration,
the number of kernels has decreased but the numer of boards has vastly
- Lots of updates to 3rd party software included:
GCC 5.5 with support for Address Sanitizer and Undefined Behavior Sanitizer
GNU binutils 2.27
Binaries of NetBSD 8.0_RC1 are available for download via our Fastly
(or from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.0_RC1/, or one of
Those who prefer to build from source can either use the netbsd-8-0-RC1
tag or follow the netbsd-8 branch.
Please help us out by testing 8.0_RC1. We love any and all feedback.
Report problems through the usual channels (submit a PR or write to the
appropriate list). More general feedback is welcome at
releng%[email protected] Your input will help us put the finishing touches on
what promises to be a great release!
Fandomfare Gaming Entertainment no.1 source in, Gaming news, Live Game Streaming , PC Gaming & related Events E3, Gamecon and more, eSports event news and releases gaming technologies.
Fandomfare Gaming Entertainment Video Games | Game Reviews | Game Streaming |Linux Distribution | more than 20-year online gaming and following the gaming industry\