ProVUE Development Releases Panorama X RAM based database for MacintoshOctober 19, 2017
Huntington Beach, California – ProVUE Development announces the release of Panorama X, the latest version of their high performance general purpose database system for Macintosh computers. This major upgrade is a complete rewrite from the ground up, the result of almost six years in development. It includes an all-new 64-bit RAM based database engine, universal multi-level Undo (never before available in any general purpose database program), and a completely modernized user interface.
ProVUE Development founder James Rea says that “the goal of the Panorama X project was to take all the great concepts of Panorama that users have loved over the past three decades: incredible RAM based speed, flexibility and programmability, and re-implement those concepts from scratch using the latest Apple technologies and with completely modern user interface design. We went back to the drawing board and re-thought every aspect of Panorama from a clean slate, much like Apple did when transitioning from Mac OS 9 to OS X, and when transitioning from Final Cut 7 to Final Cut X.”
Notable features of Panorama X include:
* Data Sheet: The Panorama X data sheet displays rows and columns like a spreadsheet, but has special functions optimized for working with structured database information.
* Graphical Layout: Panorama X includes a complete application builder that enables the user to build almost any custom interface, including custom windows, dialogs, forms, labels and custom reports. The user/developer has complete control over the layout, and if necessary, any programming needed. Layouts can be fixed or responsive to window size. Programming code can be embedded into any element, much like HyperCard(TM).
* Bulk Data Modification And Restructuring: Panorama allows huge data sets to be bent, reshaped or refactored at will. Fields can be added, removed, rearranged, hidden, merged or split at any time. Entire datasets can be rapidly altered based on parsing/manipulation rules set up from pop-up menus (advanced users can also use arbitrary formulas and regular expressions).
* Multi-Level Undo: Panorama X is the first database program ever to support universal, multi-level undo. Well known Macintosh book author Matt Neuburg says that Panorama X’s “brilliant Undo stack, shows how a properly implemented Cocoa app can provide total freedom from fear as you perform sweeping changes on huge amounts of data.”
* Flexible Searching And Sorting: Panorama X can quickly search and sort data by any field or combination of fields. Advanced search options include phonetic searches, regular expressions, and formula based searches.
* Automation: Every aspect of Panorama X operation can be automated – database manipulation, modifying database structure, even graphical layout tasks can be automated. Basic automation doesn’t require any programming at all – the Panorama X program recorder can watch the user’s action and automatically write the corresponding code. For developers, Panorama’s programming language includes conditional logic, variables, subroutines, and a complete IDE (integrated development environment). Joe Kissell, owner of Take Control Books, says that he “especially appreciates Panorama X’s Multi-Level Undo, extensive automation capabilities, and support for regular expressions and Unicode, all of which have made my work vastly simpler.”
* Data Analysis: Collecting and manipulating raw data is one thing, comprehension is another. To facilitate true comprehension, Panorama X includes unique analysis tools that transform raw data into an easily digestible, interactive outline. Users can quickly shift their vantage point in the outline – zooming out to grasp key overall trends, or drilling down to focus in on important details and chase down loose ends that they might otherwise never have noticed.
* Regular Expressions: Panorama X includes full support for industry standard regular expressions, enabling powerful and lightning fast pattern match based searches and search/replace. There are literally thousands of regular expression pattern matching examples online (as well as in books) that can be plugged directly into Panorama X.
* Relational: Panorama X’s relational model supports one record-to-one record links, range-to-one record (shipping and tax tables, for example), and one record-to-many records. Relational keys are not limited to a single field, and can even be defined with a formula.
* Data Import/Export: Panorama X can import text files in comma separated (csv), tab separated (tsv), or json format. Export supports the same formats as well as HTML and PDF. Data can be restructured as it is imported or exported to match up with external programs (for example re-arranging, merging or splitting fields as the data is imported or exported).
* macOS 10.9 or later (including macOS 10.13 High Sierra)
Pricing and Availability:
Panorama X introduces a revolutionary new flexible approach to software subscriptions. Unlike a traditional subscription, a user only pays for months when he or she actually uses the software. If they don’t use it every month, they don’t pay every month. The initial expense can be as low as $15, and ongoing usage can be as low as $5 per month.
Subscriptions are purchased from within the application. A user can install Panorama X on as many computers as he or she likes. As long as they use it on only one computer at a time, they pay nothing extra. Organizations pay for each computer in use during a month, but without any serial numbers or activation hassles. An organization can scale up or down the number of computers in use at any time – it’s all taken care of automatically within the app itself.
Panorama X can be downloaded directly from the ProVUE Development web site. When Panorama X is first installed, the user is offered a 7 day free trial. Trial days don’t have to be consecutive, they can be spread out over an extended time period. When the trial is complete, the user can simply purchase their subscription from within the application.
ProVUE Development Corporation, based in Southern California, has been developing interactive productivity tools for four decades. From the beginning, ProVUE products have been known for their innovation and performance. Since 1978 over 100,000 customers have used ProVUE products on the CP/M, Alpha Micro, PC, and Macintosh platforms. ProVUE, a privately held corporation, was one of the first commercial developers of Macintosh software, shipping its first Mac program, OverVUE, in August of 1984. Our primary product today is Panorama, which was first introduced on the Macintosh in 1988 and has been in continuous use and development since. All Material and Software (C) Copyright 2017 ProVUE Development Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, macOS, and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.