Mocha VR Revolutionizes Post Workflows for Cinematic 360 degree/VRFebruary 9, 2017
Guildford, United Kingdom – Boris FX, in collaboration with Imagineer Systems, are pleased to announce the release and immediate availability of Mocha VR, a 360/VR effects and workflow plug-in for Adobe, Avid, and OFX hosts. Based on Imagineer’s Academy Award-winning planar tracking algorithm, Mocha VR is also the first plug-in to bring native 360 degree optimized planar tracking, masking, object removal, and horizon stabilization tools to host applications Adobe(R) Premiere Pro(R) CC, Adobe(R) After Effects(R) CC, Avid Media Composer(R), The Foundry’s NUKE(TM), and Blackmagic Design Fusion.
Mocha VR marks the first foray into the quickly expanding 360 degree filmmaking community by parent company Boris FX, the leading developers of creative VFX plug-ins including flagship products Boris Continuum, Mocha Pro, and recently acquired Sapphire.
“Emerging 360 degree/VR content creators want to produce Hollywood style visuals and use high-end finishing techniques to make their 360 degree videos more impactful,” says Ross Shain, chief marketing officer. “However, the equirectangular format brings technical challenges to the artists tasked with delivering high quality deliverables. Mocha VR introduces an efficient, time-saving post-stitch workflow for editors, compositors, and finishing artists. We are excited that Mocha’s famous planar tracking can now be used to fix many problems associated with 360 degree post, such as removing cameras and stabilizing aerial footage.”
“Avid is committed to working with third-parties to offer the most comprehensive tools and workflow solutions to create, distribute, and monetize media,” says Kate Ketcham, product manager, Avid. “Boris FX has extensive experience creating high-quality plug-ins for Avid Media Composer. The new Mocha VR AVX plug-in is notable for being the first third-party 360 degree video tool designed to support the Avid editing workflow.”
Early Mocha VR beta testers have reaped the benefits of the powerful new 360 degree/VR workflow.
“Before Mocha VR, we were using Mocha AE to rotoscope for rig removal in 360 degree video projects. With Mocha VR, it is so much easier to do this work!” says Daniel Rojas Roa, 3GO Video Time. “Saving time is a priority, so we are most excited about the horizon stabilization and object removal tools.”
“Mocha VR was crucial in executing the tracking and object removal on our 360 degree/VR degree action series ‘Augmented’,” states Blair Kelly, IGN.
Mocha VR Features:
* 360 degree Planar Tracking: Imagineer’s award-winning planar tracking solution now supports equirectangular footage delivering the world’s most robust 360 degree tracking solution for post-production.
* 360 degree Workspace: Optimized workspace and toolset works simultaneously in rectilinear and lat/long views bringing 360 degree capability to a variety of applications. Editors and artists can easily track, roto, create effects, and insert graphics without worrying about equirectangular seams or distorted pixels.
* 360 degree Masking Tools: Unlimited X-Spline tools for articulate shape creation and masking, saves hours of time versus traditional keyframing techniques. Roto-masks can be rendered back to host or exported to most editing and compositing systems.
* 360 degree Object Removal: Mocha’s famous Remove Module now works on 360 degree video by analyzing temporal frames and removing unwanted camera rigs, shadows, crew members, and more for massive time-savings.
* Horizon Stabilization & Reorient: Designed to reduce unstable motion, the new Reorient Module can drastically improve nausea-inducing VR experiences by smoothing or stabilizing shaky, handheld, and drone captured footage. Driven by robust planar tracking, a user can even track and stabilize difficult and out of focus footage.
* Lens Distort Workflow for 360 degree Compositing: Plug-in based lens correction workflow converts between lat/long and rectilinear for a simple workflow to add titles, graphics, patches, and non-360 enabled filters to your 360 project.
* Plug-in & Standalone Workflows: Running as a plug-in inside industry standard editing and effects applications Adobe Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, Avid Media Composer, and NUKE provides an immediate and accessible workflow for 360 degree/VR post tasks. Render finished shots to your timeline OR export tracking and roto data in a variety of formats for flexibility and project sharing.
About Imagineer Systems:
UK-based Imagineer Systems is the Academy Award-winning developer of Mocha: Planar Tracking based visual effects solutions for film and video post production. Imagineer has made its mark on major feature films including: Star Wars: Episode VII, The Hobbit, and the Harry Potter series. In 2015, Imagineer Systems was acquired by Boris FX, a leading developer of effects, titling, and workflow plug-ins for broadcast, post-production, and film professionals.
Pricing and Availability:
Plug-in for Adobe, Avid or OFX host:
* New – $995 USD
* Upgrade from Mocha Pro 5 – $300 USD
Standalone Multi-Host Plug-ins:
* New – $1995 USD
* Upgrade from Mocha Pro 5 – $300 USD
Annual Subscription (includes multi-host plug-ins & standalone):
* $795 USD
Supporting: Windows, macOS, and Linux. Plug-in support for Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro CC 2017, Avid Media Composer, and OFX hosts: The Foundry’s NUKE and Blackmagic Design Fusion.
Founded in 1995, Boris FX is a leading developer of VFX, compositing, titling, video editing, and workflow tools for broadcast, post-production, and film professionals. Boris FX products have grown to serve over a million artists worldwide. The company’s success lies in its ability to tightly integrate and leverage technologies through strong partnerships with Adobe, Apple, Avid, Grass Valley, Nexidia, Sony, Quantel, and other leading developers of video editing software. In 2014, Boris FX acquired Imagineer Systems, the Academy Award-winning developer of mocha planar tracking software. In 2016, Boris FX acquired GenArts, the developer of Sapphire, the gold standard plug-in package for high-end visual effects creation. All Material and Software (C) Copyright 2017 Boris FX. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, OS X, Macintosh, and macOS are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.