Parsix GNU/Linux 8.10r0 Release
Parsix GNU/Linux is a live and installation DVD based on Debian. Our goal is to provide a ready to use and easy to install desktop and laptop optimized operating system based on Debian’s stable branch and the latest stable release of GNOME desktop environment. Users can easily install extra software packages from Parsix APT repositories. Our annual release cycle consists of two major and four minor versions. We have our own software repositories and build servers to build and provide all the necessary updates and missing features in Debian stable branch.
What’s New in 8.10?
z 8.10 (code name Erik) ships with stable GNOME 3.20 desktop environment and a brand new kernel. This version has been synchronized with Debian Jessie repositories as of July 30 2016. Parsix Erik ships with LibreOffice 4.3.3 productivity suit by default. Highlights: GNOME Shell 3.20.3, GRUB 2, Firefox 47.0.1, GParted 0.19.0, Empathy 3.12.12, LibreOffice 4.3.3, VirtualBox 4.3.36 and a brand new kernel based on Linux 4.4.16 with TuxOnIce, BFS and other extra patches. Live DVD has been compressed using SquashFS and XZ.
Main changes are:
- Linux 4.4.16
- GNOME Shell 3.20.3
- Xserver-X.Org 1.16.4
- Firefox 47.0.1
- Chromium Browser 51.0
- LibreOffice 4.3.3
- Glibc 2.19
- GParted 0.19.0
- Empathy 3.12.12
- GIMP 2.8.14
- Grisbi 1.0.0
- VirtualBox 4.3.36
- VLC 2.2.1
Other Notable Changes in 8.10
- Artwork, based on Metal X Shell Theme by justviper, Getting Sandy at Matador Beach photo by Hannah Katalbas, Faience icon theme by tiheum. GNOME Shell theme has been recreated from scratch to resolve issues with virtal environments and improve the overall look and feel.
- Updated Adobe flash player to 184.108.40.2066 (for 32 and 64 bit).
Note for nVidia and ATI/AMD Users
You can download and install nVidia (340.76) and ATI/AMD (15.12) precompiled drivers and kernel modules from the APT repository. If you are using an ATI/AMD graphic chip and have stability issues with GNOME Shell, use the non-free drivers. nVidia-legacy 173xx and 96xx series cards are not supported anymore and, users of those cards should switch to Nouveau open source driver. nVidia 304xx series cards also became legacy and precompiled drivers and kernel modules (304.125) are avaialble to download from our APT repository. For more information, please see ATI Drivers Howto and Nvidia Drivers HowTo.
Our 64 bit edition supports UEFI boot and installation.
Parsix Software Repositories
Parsix GNU/Linux has four main software repositories:
- Official: This repository contains packages officially maintained and built by the project
- Continent: This repository is a snapshot of Debian stable branch except packages covered by official repository
- Wonderland: This repository is a snapshot of Debian Multimedia repository
- Security: All security updates are being uploaded to this repository
Copyright 2016 Fandom Fare
Latest posts by FandomFare (see all)
- MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition – Updated for New DVD Movies - August 19, 2017
- B-Eng releases File Manager Pro 1.4 – Dual Panel File Manager for OS X - August 18, 2017
- Solus 3 Released Budgie, GNOME and MATE - August 17, 2017